NZ and Australia record strong wins at Junior Championship

Oceania Rugby, Sat May 2, 2015 3:33PM

Match 1, Round 1: New Zealand 75 Japan 0

New Zealand U20’s defeated Japan U20’s 75-0 in a clinical display in the opening match of the Oceania Rugby Junior Championship.
New Zealand will next play Samoa on Tuesday May 5 at Bond University on the Gold Coast with Japan to take on host nation, Australia.

New Zealand U20’s Head Coach Scott Robertson was full of praise of his side. “We were very happy that the sun’s out, we wouldn’t have played like that yesterday with the conditions. It was a great start for us and there was a patch in the middle where they tested us which was great.”

It took New Zealand five minutes to cross the try line as the New Zealanders spread the ball wide to allow fullback Luteru Laulala to cross the line and score the first try of the Oceania Rugby Junior Championship. Otre Black converted the try to take the score to 7-0 in favour of New Zealand.

New Zealand continued to hammer the Japanese line as the young Cherry Blossoms struggled to maintain possession. New Zealand’s second try came through winger, Sean Wainui as the men in black broke through the Japanese defence out wide to take the score to 14-0 with the successful penalty.

Vincent Tavae-aso was the beneficiary of an excellent kick from kiwi flanker Mitchell Jacobson to score the third try of the match and take the score to 21-0.

Japan was finally able to gain momentum with some possession as they worked their way into the first half, however the pressure from the New Zealand was too much and Tionoai TJ Faiane crossed for New Zealand’s fourth try of the match. The successful conversion by Black took the score to 28-0.

New Zealand continued to press and scored further tries through Sean Wainui and Mitchell Karpik to make it 42-0 at halftime.

The second half saw a significantly improved Japanese side take to the field and it tested the New Zealand defence for the first 15 minutes of the second stanza. Despite these best efforts the young Cherry Blossoms were unable to score.

It took New Zealand 28 minutes to score in the second half with two quick tries coming through Mitchell Karpik and replacement Mitchell Dunshea.

As the Japanese defence tired New Zealand continued to pile on points with number eight Blake Gibson and Anton Lienert-Brown crossing the line for tries.

Match 2, Round 1: Australia 33 Samoa 10

The Australian U20’s started their Oceania Rugby Junior Championship with a win after defeating Samoa 33 to 10 at Bond University on the Gold Coast.

Australia scored four tries to Samoa’s two as the Australian backs capitalised on an impressive effort to contain the Samoan forwards.
Australian U20’s Head Coach Adrian Thompson was satisfied with his sides’ victory.

“It was a good first half, it got scrappy in the second half, but I’m happy with the effort in the first half. Our forwards did well, I think Samoa have put in a lot of resources into their program this year and they were a lot better than they were at this stage last year.”

“I think they will be a big challenge when we play them at the first game at the World Championships.”

It didn’t take long for the Australian side to cross the line with number eight Lolo Fakosilea crossing for Australia’s first try after a quick turn over off a loose Samoan ball. Australia continued to attack Samoa in their own half and were rewarded with a penalty in front of the posts that flyhalf Andrew Deegan converted to take the score to 8-0.

Australia’s early dominance was rewarded further when Christian Yassmin was the beneficiary of some great hands by the Australian backs with captain Andrew Kellaway sending the ball wide to Yassmin who crossed for the try to make it 15-0 with the conversion from Deegan.

Samoa then surprised Australia with a quick penalty and as they broke through some weak tackles Trent Winterstein crossed in the corner to take the score to 15-5.

However, another penalty to flyhalf Andrew Deegan and a try to flying flanker, Qantas Australian Sevens squad member, Brad Wilkin took Australia’s lead to 23-5 at halftime.
The second half saw Australia continue to control the game against their Pacific opponents but the Samoa became harder to break down.
Yassamin eventually scored his second try of the match as the Australian backs benefited from the hard work of the forwards.
Deegan converted to take the score to 30-5.

Despite more pressure from Australia Samoa held firm and countered with some excellent play of their own and they got just reward when
winger Ah-Mu Tuimalealiifano crossed in the corner for Samoa’s second try to take the score to 30-10.

A late penalty to Australia took the score to 33-10 where the score would remain at full time.
Last updated: Tuesday June 9, 2015 2:50PM