Round 2 of Oceania Rugby Cup Review

Oceania Rugby, Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:29PM

After two rounds of the 2015 Oceania Rugby Cup, the PNG Pukpuks are top of the table having won both their games.

The Pukpuks are on 10 points so far picking up a bonus point in each game for scoring four tries.

Three of the Pukpuks eight tries scored in both games have gone to the current leading try scorer- Jacky Marcus.

The Pukpuks have also been equally impressive in terms of discipline having received neither a yellow or red card.

Oceania Rugby Tournaments Coordinator, Lemalu Wayne Schuster said this year’s tournament has seen a huge improvement in the standard of playing from all four countries.

The current ladder:

PNG (10), Tahiti (5), Amercian Samoa (5), Solomon Islands (0).

PNG v American Samoa

After Pukpuks Jacky Marcus nearly scored on the wing, American Samoa went on the counter attack with Shaun Salave'a taking an intercept to dash 80 metres to score.

A successful conversion American Samoa in front at 7-0.

The Pukpuks made their comeback through two quick tries to Jonah Kautu and then through Rabbie Namaliu who scored after a brilliant move to attack the blind side from the scrum.

The momentum brought on another two five pointers for the Pukpuks after James Lumaris was put into space to score.

This was followed up later by a good solo from Richard Aitsi who stepped and then ducked to make was over for another try.

Nigel Genia added the extras to lead 22-7.

Just when they were getting comfortable, American Samoa snuck in a try right on half time to put themselves back in contention.

Tahiti did it easy beating the Solomon Islands Hunters 36-10 in the first game.

Both teams looked for early points from penalties but both kickers were off target.

Tahiti scored the first points from a line out which saw them go short and attack the blind side for Jean Francois Tautu to run through and score.

Solomon Islands replied immediately when Castro Tuhakiu grabbed the first try to level up. An unsuccessful conversion left the score at 5-5.

Tahiti scored right before half time when Taiteari Mahuru was given some space and crashed over to score.

Kicker Anthony Tesquet failed to add the extras for the third time in the game. This left the score at 36-10 at half time.

Tahiti stepped up their game in the second half of play scoring first through Patrick Tevero from a maul that allowed him to cross over.

Tesquet made sure of the kick this time slotting in the extras.

Solomon Islands managed a try not long after through some fancy footwork from Chris Saru to score on the wing. This put them right back in the game after the conversion sailed through the posts at 17-12.

But two more tries for Tahiti sealed the win for them.

Story via Loop PNG

Last updated: Monday September 28, 2015 9:19PM